Okay, I've mentioned it before, but I feel like sometimes people might not understand how we meal plan, or how we sometimes fail doing it, too. So, this is just a brief rundown on how #theSowelllife meal plans.
One day during the weekend (usually Saturday), I sit down with the calendar and put pen to paper on what our week/weeks looks like ahead. Do we have something going on one evening? Are we going out of town for the weekend? All of that effects our dinner some nights. The nights we have something going on or one of us is going to be late coming in that night, I write down "take out." And usually the day before we go out of town, that evening is full of packing and cleaning the house up (laundry, taking the trash out, etc) so that would be a "take out" night as well.
After those days have been marked, I start with the nitty gritty...
• What are some of the foods we love, and don't mind eating once a week.
• What did we have last week that we don't want to repeat again this week.
• What do we have in the fridge or freezer that needs to be used up first.
• New recipes... do we have all the ingredients?
• Anything we've been craving?
• What's the weather going to be like? Soups, grilling, etc.
Then it's all about not having the same thing day after day...
• We don't like leftovers unless it's something we can make sandwiches out of the next day.
• We try not to have the same kind of foods back to back. (i.e. italian/spaghetti noodles, chicken, beef)
And this is how we sometimes fail at meal planning...
• Someone gets sick and doesn't feel like cooking (me).
• Unexpected dinner dates with out of town guests.
• Just not in the mood for what we have planned (me again).
• We're out of something we need, and neither one of us wants to head to the grocery store (the Mr).
Well, that's how we meal plan. Have any questions or suggestions for us? And let me know what you think...
#WordlessWednesday - Future Author w Linky!
28 minutes ago